Monday, January 3, 2011

Wikispace Account

I am happy to announce that I have my own HCPSS approved wikispace account.  There is not much there so far but I start edited my homepage and adding a few pages right away.  It is very easy to modify and add pages by using the editing toolbar located at the top of the page.  To get a few ideas about how to use my wikispace I did explore several other teachers' pages at my school and found that most use their accounts to update students and parents with homework and classwork assignments as well as provide helpful links for home practice.


Using a wiki is a great way to develop a sense of community in the classroom.  All students will be able to add information to the wiki, making them feel like a vital piece of the class.  It will also be a nice way for parents to understand what the children are doing in school.  I would first like to introduce the students to the site and have them practice logging in and writing something since I am not sure how many have used a wiki before.  But I have created a page that I would like students to use at home to sign up for their first research report.  Students will write the name of the president they chose to research and list any helpful resources they have used.  I think this will be a relatively easy beginning post for them and that way we will be able to monitor the number of students that sign up for certain presidents ( I put a limit on the wiki).  This will be an optional assignment, but I am hoping most students will signup.  I will let you know how it works out.


Here is the web address for my wikispace http://presscott.hcpss.wikispaces.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment